Monday, December 9, 2013

Week 21 New Companion from Tahiti!!

Hey all!

It has been a cooooldd week! It's been in the low 20's for the past like 5 days! Snowing alot which is good, because when it snows, it's warmer! It's been interesting driving in the snow too! But getting better everyday :)


So I was assigned a new companion last Tuesday, Elder Souday! From French Polynesia, the island of Tahiti! This is his first time in the US, and he has only been speaking English for about 3 months! He is doing very well on his English, but lets just say I've gotten really good at pronouncing my words :) He spent 6 weeks in the MTC learning English, and spent 1 transfer just north of here, in Layton. So he will be finishing up his training here! He is 2nd oldest of 4 children and the only one to serve a mission thus far! He was raised in the Church and his family have been members for about 3 generations.

Get this... he plays guitar and has the voice of an angel! He can harmonize like a boss!!. This last Thursday, I told him how I like to sing songs at members home as the thought after dinner. He taught me how to sing Nearer My God To Thee in French!!  So we have been singing that a lot lately :) He wanted to learn an American song, so I taught him Earth Angel (you know, the one from Back To The Future!), originally done by "The Penguins". He just sings it over and over and over haha Its so funny!


This last Saturday, one of our wards rented out a theater room at the local movie theater and showed "The Polar Express". We got permission from President to go and had a great time with the ward! I haven't seen that movie in forever and i had forgotten what great message it had. Christmas isn't about what we sometimes make it out to be. It's about doing good to everyone, especially in their time of need. I love Christmas, because it reminds me of my Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for his love and sacrifice for me. The movie has a great theme. To keep the spirit of Christ with us, all we have to do is believe. And once we believe, we act.



So after this transfer is over, I will have been in my first area for 6 months. I hope they keep me here another 6. I LOVE the people here. I have gotten really really close with some families, and it will be a sad day to leave. It's so nice to be able to just go in their homes and feel like family. I am so grateful to be able to serve in this amazing area.

We are still meeting weekly with James, Cari, Autumn, and Chris. We have stopped teaching Ireland and Reese, only waiting for their parents to get in line and decide if they really want them baptized. Please keep them all in your prayers.

I love this Gospel and this mission. I know this is where the Lord needs me and am so grateful for this amazing experience thus far. I can't wait to see what more the future holds.

Thank you everyone once again, for the emails and letters! :) Stay busy and stay safe, you're always in my prayers. Don't ever pass up an opportunity to share this great Gospel that we know and love. They are all around us :)

Much Love,
Elder Carroll

"Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see."  -The Polar Express

My favorite scripture this week! D&C 64:34 - "Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days."

No comments:

Post a Comment