Friday, May 1, 2015

WEEK 93: What Is Your Motivator?

April 27, 2015

The Lord is good! It's been an incredible busy week yet again. Staying on our toes with transfers, leadership meetings, and planning Zone Conferences, which start tomorrow! We'll be touring the Mission with President and Sister Spendlove for these all-day Conferences Tuesday-Friday. I love the opportunity we have to associate ourselves more fully with the entire body of the mission.

We have the privilege of speaking in 3 sacrament meetings yesterday, and teaching an Elders Quorum & Relief Society class (at the same time! We had to split!). I am so grateful for how often I am able to testify of Eternal Truths. It just feels good. The Spirit is there, and I'm able to learn from it every time.

While planning our segment of Zone Conference Trainings, I've had a lot of time to think and ponder on our training topic, being: What Is Your Motivator?

What Is Your Motivator?

There is such an incredibly wide variety of motivators that drive us to make every and all decisions in our lives. Whether it's instant gratification, pleasure, peer pressure, knowing the personal benefits of making a certain choice, knowing it's your duty in some way or another to make one decision over another.. the list can go on and on. After studying and pondering on this topic, I've come to understand what our true motivator for serving the Lord should be. I've heard it over and over, but now I understand the why of this principle. Christ once said:

"But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence." (John 14:31)

Christ was motivated to be exactly obedient to the Father, in reaction to His love for the Father. Love is the motivator. Love should be our motivator.

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—" (Moroni 7:46)

I've read this scripture so many times, but it have never had any significant meaning to me, until now. Charity will never fail us. All other motivators will, eventually, not be good enough. When our Abrahamic trial comes, we must be motivated by something more than our own personal benefit. We must be motivated to keep the Father's commandments, because we love him. Christ attempted and succeeded to teach Peter this very principle at the Sea of Tiberias, after his resurrection:

"So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep." (John 21:15-17)


He taught Peter that his motivation to serve Him to the end, had to be Charity. It had to be the pure love of Christ. All other motivations were going to fail him.

So the question is, how can we come to more love the Father, and the Savior? How can we change our ultimate motivator to love, or charity? This is why understanding the nature of the Godhead is so very important. This is why strengthening our relationship with the Father is so important. We can increase our love for God by have more often earnest prayers. We can increase our appreciation for Him by studying His atonement. If we truly could comprehend what the Savior went through, we would have a perfect love for Him. We would be obedient to Him, because we love Him and are grateful for what He's done for us. What do you need to do to increase your love for God?

I can promise that as we strengthen our charity for other around us, and God, we will have a new Light within ourselves. A new joy can and will be found. The Gospel is how we can access Eternal Happiness and life eternal.

The Area

Liz, a girl from my last area, got baptized yesterday!! She is 18 and from Vietnam! She's awesome. She's been attending the LDS Business College. She is gonna be a rock solid member!

Dianne is still on date for May 16th. Excited for her!!

Stay close to the Lord, you'll be happy.

~Elder Carroll

Liz's Baptism!


No comments:

Post a Comment