Monday, August 11, 2014

Week 56: Transferred to Erda!!!


Elder Carroll still loves the guitar!
(Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Peavey)

Hey!!!!

First things first! I got a call from my Mission President on Saturday and he informed me that I would be headed out to Erda for this transfer (just north of Tooele, on the complete opposite side of the mission. Google it!)!! This will be my first transfer serving outside of Davis County, which is basically the Mormon County of the world. haha! I have served over half my mission here, and have met so many amazing people. People that I know that I'll be friends with for a loooong time! :) But I am super excited to serve out in the sticks!! Erda is a really small farming community!! So it will be a bit of a culture shock I'm sure :) I am excited to serve the people of Erda and also my fellow missionaries in the Tooele North Zone.


Last Sunday in Davis County!


This past week, we were able to attend a leadership meeting with Elder Arnold of the 70! It was a great meeting and he is a great teacher. He is coming back at the end of the month for a "Mission Tour", where basically he will train us how to be better missionaries for 8 hours!

On August 5th, a terrible thing happened in one of my old areas. Up on the hill in North Salt Lake, there was a huge mudslide! It took out an entire house. Everyone living in the house is unharmed and now living with family in the area, until they can figure out what they will do. This reminded me of a simple Bible story. Most of us know it as the Wise Man and the Foolish Man. Apparently, before the house was constructed, the construction company was told that there was danger in building a house on that lot, but they proceeded with the building of the house. They knew of the danger, but still wanted to proceed. Helaman 5:12 gives us a great idea of how the Lord wants us to build up our "foundation".





"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

I can testify that as we strive to build our foundation about the sure rock of Christ, we need not worry. When the trials of life shall come, we will be able to stand strong against it because of our faith, patience, and diligence. We must remember to always CPR!! :) (Church, Pray, Read). I know the Lord will take care of us, as we obey Him and do all we can to strengthen our foundation every day of our lives.

Something that I have learned while being out here in the field, is that I am not able to be a vessel to convert people, past my own conversion. We, as members of His church cannot most effectively help to bring others unto His fold, past our own conversion. Which leads me to ask the question: How converted are you? How converted am I? Am I doing all that I can, to help build my own testimony and obtain my own conversion? Am I faithfully fulfilling my church calling? Home Teaching? Visiting Teaching? Reading the scriptures and praying? Am I doing all that I can do? Because when I am converted, I know the Lord wishes that I "strengthen [my] brethren". If you feel as if you are not doing all you could be doing, or feel that you could improve in any way, please don't procrastinate improving yourselves. The Lord will help you, when you ask for His help! :) I know it.

I have had some great experiences this past week and although I already knew this, I got a strong impression to share what I have felt. Christ is REAL! His life isn't just a story or a fairy tale, or something we tell people to give them encouragement. He LIVED! And still does!! It's so amazing to be able to have the knowledge of Him that we do. I know he suffered in the Garden. I know because I have felt burdens lifted because of that event. He will be our strength and our light--As long as we are willing to humble ourselves and come unto Him.

We were privileged yesterday, to attend 3 Sacrament Meetings, and speak in all of them! I am so grateful for the Spirit that accompanies us as we speak. We don't ever have to worry about what is going to come out of our mouths--Because it's the Spirit!!  While singing "Now Let Us Rejoice" in one of those meetings, a certain line stuck out to me..

"Now let us rejoice in the day of salvation.
No longer as strangers on earth need we roam.
Good tidings are sounding to us and each nation,
And shortly the hour of redemption will come."

The line "each nation" struck me.  I know that our loving God would not only save his Gospel for one nation, but that he would give it to all of them! He wouldn't want to save just a few of his children.  I know the Book of Mormon is a true record of the people of America in ancient times and their dealings with Christ and God. It's the most correct book on the face of the earth, and if we abide by its precepts, we can draw closer to God.

I love this Gospel, and this Work. I am so blessed to even be a part of it. I know Jesus is the Christ and I am so grateful to invite all to come closer to Him.

Hope all is well at home. Stay close to the Lord, stay busy, and stay safe!! :)

Love,
~Elder Carroll

My favorite scripture this week: D&C 18:11-12 - " 11 For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him. And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men unto him, on conditions of repentance."

No comments:

Post a Comment