Monday, June 16, 2014

Week 47: Blessings and A SEIZURE!!

Hey all!

This week has been crazy to say the least!  We are working closely with the ward/stake leadership and members.  The Lord has blessed us with a miraculous 20 lessons this week (compared to the 3 that we had my first week in this area).  I cannot stress enough, the impact that members have in this work. Please do all you can to spread the Word of this amazing Gospel and the happiness that it brings :)

I've said it plenty of time, and I’ll say it again! The purpose of this life is to have joy! And what brings the most joy in this world? The Gospel of course!!! The Gospel of Jesus Christ brings nothing but happiness. The people in it may not be perfect (plus, why would we go to church if we were perfect?), but the doctrine is.

2 Nephi 2:25 - "..[M]en are, that they might have joy."

Ok so now onto the scary part of the week...

So this past Saturday we did some yard work for a widow in one of our wards. Afterward, we walked all the way home. I hopped in the shower and my companion, Elder Smith laid down on his bed and was waiting for me to get out, so he could shower. While he was waiting, he dozed off.  I got out, got dressed and decided to let him sleep for a bit and then I was gonna wake him up in 15 minutes to get ready for our next appointment. I opened my Book of Mormon and started reading while waiting for the time to wake him up. When the time came, I walked into the room and he was kinda of (what I thought was) twitching in his sleep. I watched him for about 20 seconds, no knowing if he was joking around or something.  After that 20 seconds, I kinda felt like something was wrong.  So I said, "Hey Elder Smith, we gotta go!"  I got no repsonse and the "twitching" continued. So I went over to him and said the same thing again.  When I saw his face, his eyes were open and he was like foaming from the mouth!!!!  He was completely unresponsive! The twitching turned into flailing. It was insane!!! I panicked and tried shaking him because it didn't register in my brain what was happening. Elder Smith is a type 1 diabetic and takes shots to produce his insulin. He didn't formally show me what to do in case of an emergency situation like this, so I grabbed the nearest needle he had, filled it with the insulin, and shot it into his thigh!! Turns out, his blood sugar was dangerously low and that is what caused this seizure. Apparently, he didn't eat enough sugars to make up for the hard work he did at the service project. So, insulin (which helps the body lower the blood sugar) would have made it even worse!!! Turns out, when I tried to fill the needle with insulin, I did it incorrectly and only drew air from the vile!!!  So I shot air into his thigh!!!!  Which also could have killed him!!!  It was SO scary!  If you have ever seen anyone up close having a seizure, it's freakin’  scary!  I had no idea what to do or what was actually happening. After giving him the shot, I ran upstairs and got the dad of the family that we live with.  He came running down and said they had seen this exact thing happen before.  He was very calm.  We called 911 and the paramedics showed up within about 7 minutes. About 30 minutes later, Elder Smith was conscious and back to normal!  This was definitely the scariest moment of my mission thus far!!
On a brighter note (haha), we were able to attend the Bountiful Temple this past Tuesday. I love the Temple. The peace it brings is indescribable! Just another amazing blessing that this amazing Gospel brings!

We also were able to speak in one of our ward's sacrament meetings yesterday!  I am so grateful for the opportunities I have to preach this Gospel. I love being able to feel the Spirit teach through me.

The Lord has blessed us with another particular spiritual experience this week… After a good lesson with a  inactive couple this week, we asked if there was anything we could do for them before we left. The husband was quick to say his wife wanted a Priesthood blessing, because they have been trying to have a baby, but have been unable to do so. The wife broke down crying as soon as he mentioned it, and accepted the blessing. Giving a Priesthood blessing is always an amazing experience. Again, the feeling of the Spirit being able to work through you as a vessel is such an amazing feeling. At the close of the blessing, both the husband and wife were in tears. They thanked us and invited us back in a few days.

This Gospel brings joy. It brings happiness.  I've come to the conclusion, that you do not need the Gospel to be happy. That is a fact. But I have also come to the conclusion that you do need the Gospel in order to maximize the amount of happiness that you can have in this life.
I've seen all types of people back home and especially here on my mission. And let me tell you, the happiest people I've met are those who live this great Gospel of Jesus Christ. The happiest people are those who are fully using His Atonement in their lives. This Gospel brings maximum happiness, and I can testify of that.

This has been an eventful week, and I hope yours has been the same. I love all of you and thank you for the constant emails, letters and support! Hope all is well, wherever you may be! Stay close to the Lord, stay busy, and stay safe!!

Much Love,
Elder Carroll

My favorite scripture this week - Mormon 7:7 - "And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end."

Laser Tag with the zone at Boondocks!

 A great friend, Elder Ngametua of the Cook Island!

The Elders in our district at the Temple!

No comments:

Post a Comment