Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Week 34: Weddings and Baptisms!

Hey Everyone!

Great news! Last night we had an amazing lesson with Fabian and his girlfriend Shaynell! We brought along an elderly missionary named Elder Daley! His purpose in the mission is to help couples get married! He brought the Family Proclamation and had both of them read parts of it, and explained the importance of marriage. They both accepted and agreed, and we are going down to Salt Lake this morning to get their marriage license!! They will be getting married and baptized in the next few weeks :) So happy and excited for them. The Lord is great and his influence is so strong, none of this would be possible without him.

Elder Ballard of the 12 came to speak to our mission last week! He also brought Bill Marriott (Owner and CEO of Marriott hotels) with him! It was a great 2 hour meeting and a great Q&A with Brother Marriott. I was able to ask Bill what he thought was the most misunderstood concept of missionary work. He paused for a second and said.. "What do you think?" Everyone got a good chuckle out of that. I then paused for a second and tried to think. I then replied with my most honest answer, "I don't know." He told me that he thought the most misunderstood concept is where we look. He said to look for effective opportunities. How true that is.

My challenge to you this week is to "look for the most effective opportunities" to share the gospel. I will leave it at that. Take it to some prayer, and i promise you the Lord will help you spread this wonderful joy that know in our everyday lives.

Something Elder Ballard said that really stuck out to me (probably because he said it 3 or 4 times) is to "treasure it up in your minds, the words of life." The scriptures. Don't ever falter on reading your scriptures. Even if it's as simple as 1 verse a day, i can promise you the Lord will bless you for your efforts, and you will grow closer to Him and our Heavenly Father.

We have another investigator named Sam. He wants to be baptized, but he needs to get married to his live-in girlfriend. They have 2 children together. Sam and his wife are both Native American. Elder Daley will be coming again with us tonight to work his magic! Excited to see how it goes.

A few days ago, we went to McDonald's for dinner. We had a dinner cancel on us so we just picked somewhere close. But let me tell you once again... the Lord truly does work in mysterious ways. We ended up meeting this guy named Austin. It started just as casual talk at the soda fountain, but he then invited us to sit down with him to chat. We ended up talking for a good hour, about the church and God. He was baptized when he was 13, but quickly fell away at 17. He told us he got into some bad stuff and is trying to figure out his life right now. He said he doesn't believe in God, but he is very spiritual. He also told us that he thinks it's better to experience life (booze, drugs, sex) for ourselves, so that we can learn from our experiences and grow. He had a very interesting way of thinking. We testified of the Atonement and our Savior Jesus Christ. We asked to set up a return appointment, but he told us he had 30 days jail time starting on the 12th (for possession).. He gave us his number, and said he would love to talk more and to call him when he got out of jail. It's an interesting people down here in North Salt Lake.. I could feel the love and real intent he had in his words, and I am looking forward to meeting with him again :)

I know this Gospel is true. I know that Christ's church is once again on the earth, and that this is it. I know Joseph Smith saw, what he said he saw. God the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ. I know because i've read the Book of Mormon. I've had that personal witness from the Holy Ghost, for myself. I love it. The Gospel ONLY brings joy. Seeing how some people live, and seeing how much they just eat up the Gospel and it's principles.. they love it. They realize something is missing. It makes me realize how true and real this Gospel really is. They want what we have to offer. I love this work. 

I wouldn't trade this mission (especially the Utah Salt Lake City Mission) for anything. I just wish time would pass by a little slower. The days may be long sometimes, but the weeks are short and the months are almost nothing. 

Thank's to everyone for the emails and letters, i love them! Hope all is well at home, stay busy and stay safe. Stay close to our Lord Jesus Christ and i can promise you that you will be happy.

Much Love,
~Elder Carroll

My favorite scripture this week- 1 Nephi 4:34 - "Surely the Lord hath commanded us to do this thing; and shall we not be diligent in keeping the commandments of the Lord?"

Elder Boyles and I

Top of North Salt Lake! 
(Elder Nelson of the 12 lives like 3 doors down from where we are)


No comments:

Post a Comment