Tuesday, December 9, 2014

WEEK 73- What Does The Gospel Have to Offer Us?

DECEMBER 8, 2014
SALT LAKE CITY TEMPLE pumpkin carving!

Our ZONE!!

People in Erda, love their guns!


Hey!!

I am eternally grateful for this marvelous opportunity that our loving Father in Heaven has given me to serve Him and His children full time here in the field.  My experiences have shown me many things.  I know what I want in life.  I know what can bring true and everlasting happiness.  I know what can happen when we start to think that we know better than God.  Being able to talk to so many different people and see all of their different viewpoints, I now see things in a different light than I ever have before!  Some of the things I've seen and learned hadn’t even crossed my mind before.  I'm grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and all that comes with it.

So what does the Gospel of Jesus Christ have to offer us?  Well just to name a few... Salvation, joy, peace, comfort and knowledge, just to name a few!  Are these things that we as individuals want?  I don't know about you, but I crave them!!  What is this life for if I can't find joy in it? It is sad to come across individuals who don't believe or can’t see how the Gospel can bless them.   All we can do is invite, testify, promise blessings, and live so they can see the fruits of it.  The rest is up to them, if they truly wish to have these blessings.

Recently, we have come in contact with a family who, just a few months ago lost their 13 year old son to suicide :(  They are great and wonderful people, but have never taken the Gospel to heart or considered what it has to offer.  The father mentioned to us that he was an Atheist up until a few months ago, at the loss of his only son.  They are now meeting with us regularly and have so many questions such as… what will happen to their son since he never was taught the Gospel or will they be together after this life? They are turning to God in their time of need.  Please forgive me if this might sound harsh, but it's really sad that it took their own son passing away for them to believe in God.   If we only turn to God when we're in trouble, then we're already in trouble. The Atonement is real and it is never too late in this life to turn things around.   But it would be so much easier if we would only turn to him NOW rather than later or after a horrible tragedy occurring in our lives.

Elder Bednar once said:

"Can the spiritual strength that results from consistent obedience to the commandments be given to another person? Can the knowledge obtained through diligent study and pondering of the scriptures be conveyed to one who is in need? Can the peace the gospel brings to a faithful Latter-day Saint be transferred to an individual experiencing adversity or great challenge? The clear answer to each of these questions is no." (Converted Unto the Lord - Oct. 2012 General Conference)

If you haven't seen or read this talk, I invite you to do so. He outlines the vital importance of being converted for ourselves so that in time a need or tragedy, we will have something worthy to fall back on.


WATCH THE VIDEO!


The Gospel has everything to offer us.  If only people would test it out and see for themselves, the blessings it has to offer.  I know the Gospel has these things to offer because I have seen it work firsthand.  I have witnessed  the divinity of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.   Joseph Smith saw what he said he saw and  I have no doubts of that!

Joseph Smith's First Vision of God & Jesus Christ


Hope all is well, stay close to the Lord.

Love,
Elder Carroll

My favorite scripture this week: Alma 36:24-25 (24) Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

(25) Yea, and now behold, O my son, the Lord doth give me exceedingly great joy in the fruit of my labors;

My favorite quote this week: 
"I need thee ev'ry hour;
Stay thou nearby.
Temptations lose their pow'r
When thou art nigh." (I Need Thee Every Hour - Hymn #98 v.2)

No comments:

Post a Comment